( An awful lot of rambling and burblingCollapse )
Right. Half three, I've been rambling for more than an hour. To summarise:
- A Portrait of the Artist is art.
- A hypertext of that book is also art.
- A hypothetical superset of all possible narratives of which A Portrait of the Artist is but one path is also, probably, art.
- A Portrait of the Warlock of Firetop Mountain is somewhat less likely to be art.
- That's because it's a game, and for a game, you need a goal, and you need to make informed choices to get to that goal.
- Goals are weird. Most art doesn't present the reader with a goal. Games do.
- We're not good at presenting the information needed to make informed choices to the player.
- We're not good at handling choices in a work of art, either.
- It's very late, and this is not helping write Hawkmoon adventures.
More on informed choices and goals later.